Combustible Dust Hazards, Prevention, and Mitigation Practices
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 21 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Legal, Regulatory, Guidelines, and Standards, Protective Clothing and Equipment, Risk Assessment and Management
ONLY 5 SEATS REMAINING!
This course will ensure all participants are aware of important issues associated with the NFPA Combustible Dust Standards and the OSHA Combustible Dust National Emphasis Program. A logical approach to characterizing a dust’s or powder’s hazardous properties will be presented, as well as a description of various techniques used to avoid and/or control dust explosions in a safe and compliant manner. After an introduction to the fundamentals of combustible dust fires and explosions, the course will provide a review of recent dust explosions with lessons learned, testing requirements to characterize potential combustible dusts, tips for effective combustible dust compliance inspections, strategies on how to comply with NFPA codes and prepare for an OSHA combustible dust compliance inspection, as well as various mitigation technologies.
Combustible Dust Testing Guide NFPA 652 Inspection Checklist
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify potential dust hazards and how to utilize appropriate test methods to determine levels of potential hazards.
- Apply appropriate techniques to prevent or mitigate combustible dust fire and explosions.
- Introduction to CD: Who, What, Why, and Where of deflagrations
- How can deflagrations be prevented
- Specific examples with preventative measures
- Dust characterization and interpreting test results
- Inspection tips, what to look for on a walk-thru
- Prevention and Mitigation technologies
- Introduction to relevant NFPA Codes with intro to NFPA 652
- Meeting OSHA requirements
- Avoiding common citations
- Required written programs
- Common interpretations
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC110