Bayesian Statistics: Applications in IH Data Interpretation
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Exposure Assessment Strategies, Risk Assessment and Management
ONLY 6 SEATS REMAINING!
The Bayesian statistical framework offers opportunities for improving the accuracy, efficiency, and transparency of our exposure judgments. Bayesian techniques can be used to combine our professional judgment regarding a particular exposure and its uncertainty along with the statistical analysis of current exposure data. The language and framework of the approach holds promise for expressing the output of exposure assessments in a manner that is much more easily understood and communicated than from more traditional analyses. Best of all, the Bayesian decision analysis approach formalizes traditional exposure assessment processes already used by industrial hygienists today. This course will provide an overview of the Bayesian framework for decision analysis and explore, through discussion and workshops, opportunities for its application in industrial hygiene data interpretation and exposure risk assessment.
Familiarity with AIHA’s Strategy for Assessing and Managing Occupational Exposures. Experienced in exposure assessments and monitoring data interpretation.
Participants should bring a laptop computer for the Bayesian decision analysis software that will be distributed. *Note that the software is designed for Windows-based PCs. It will not run on a Macintosh computer without an emulator.
Receive software for performing Bayesian decision analysis calculations. Learn how to improve exposure judgments.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Implement techniques for improving the accuracy of exposure judgments.
- Relate a Bayesian framework for decision analysis to the AIHA Exposure Assessment Strategy.
- Perform Bayesian decision analysis of industrial hygiene monitoring data using a software tool.
- Making Good Exposure Decisions: Interpreting Data
- Importance of Professional Judgment
- AIHA Exposure Assessment Model: Inherently a Bayesian Approach
- Improving Judgments: Bayesian Decision Analysis (BDA)
- Putting Improvement Ideas into Practice
- Use of Subjective Decisions
- Integrating Improvement Activities into Your Professional Practice
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Hands-on demonstrations and practicum
- Practice exercises
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC401
Exposure Assessment Strategies