Building a Successful Consulting Practice
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
A competent professional faces difficult issues once the decision is made to offer professional services as an independent consultant. This session will suggest key decision points allowing the participants to face the future in focus. The speakers will offer lessons learned in regards to the scope of the business, attracting and retaining customers, and creative first-year financing. A sample business plan outline will be available. Marketing techniques and ideas for using social media to promote your business will be shared. Staffing models will be discussed regarding leasing vs. hiring, IRS implications of part-timers, and grooming your future competition. This session will give participants a guide to getting started, a new look at running a successful consulting business, and improvement tips for those with an established business.
References about consulting practices available through the AIHA and ACGIH publication departments will be discussed in class as part of a wrap up session.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify key decisions prior to starting an independent practice.
- Develop a successful business and marketing plan.
- Organize a staffing plan.
- Formulate an integrated financial plan.
- Recognize some tricks of the trade.
- Introduction and overview
- What it takes to get started
- Business plan
- Marketing (including social media)
- Other factors (staffing, growth, benefits, insurance, office, equipment)
- Financial (projections, expenses)
- Taking action
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Group activities
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC408
- Alden G. Strealy, JobSpot Health & Safety, Portland, OR
- Bernard L. Fontaine, The Windsor Consulting Group, Inc., South River, NJ
- Bill Adams, SafeX, Inc., Westerville, OH
- David M. Kichula, Air Consulting Services, Hightstown, NJ
- Dianne Grote Adams, SafeX, Inc., Westerville, OH
- Donna M. Ringo, DMR & Associates, Louisville, KY
- Jodi L. Smith, Entek Group, Sacramento, CA
- William R. Ringo, DMR & Associates, Louisville, KY