Enhancing the Role of EH&S in Specification, Design, Construction, and Management of Laboratory Hood Ventilation Systems
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Engineering, IH Business Case Development, Laboratory Health and Safety
Laboratory hoods and ventilation systems are the primary means of protecting people working in laboratories with potentially hazardous materials. The EH&S professional must be involved and play a significant role in ensuring proper selection, design, installation, and long-term operation of the systems. The systems can be comprised of many components from different laboratory hoods to complex variable air volume controls and sensors. This course will provide EH&S personnel with the understanding and knowledge of laboratory ventilation systems to contribute in all phases of design and operation to ensure safe, dependable and energy efficient operation.
Basic knowledge of the laboratory local exhaust systems and its major components
Participants must bring a scientific calculator.
Exhaust system selection decision charts and sample test reports.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Recognize major components of the different laboratory exhaust ventilation systems.
- Determine appropriate design and operating specifications for hoods, labs, and exhaust systems.
- Participate in all phases of design and operation to ensure safe, dependable, and energy-efficient operation.
- Specify commissioning tests and data requirements for a new project or an existing system.
- Set up and maintain a lab ventilation management plan.
- Fundamentals of Laboratory Hood Systems
- Design Construction/Renovation Specifications
- Commissioning During Construction
- Post-Construction Lab Ventilation Management
- Group Challenge Activities – participants to apply their knowledge toward hood, lab, and system selection and design
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Post PDC test
- Hands-on demonstrations and practicum
- Group activities
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC414
Engineering, Laboratory Health and Safety