Exposure Judgment: Improving Inhalation Assessments
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 21 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Exposure Assessment Strategies, Exposure Banding/OEL Process, Risk Assessment and Management
Industrial hygienists (IHs) need strategies and tools to make effective decisions in rapidly evolving domestic and international environments. New international and U.S.regulations are impacting large and small businesses alike. Pressure from stakeholders has motivated many IHs and their organizations to identify more efficient, comprehensive methods for assessing and managing exposure risk. AIHA’s exposure risk assessment and management strategy provides a solid foundation for gauging occupational and environmental exposure risks. By developing and integrating new semi-quantitative tools such as environmental determinant heuristics with existing tools, the strategy empowers IHs to make more accurate, efficient exposure risk judgments. Participants will learn how to apply these user-friendly tools through a series of interactive workshops. Participants will learn how to make more accurate exposure judgments and how to apply these new skills and tools. The capstone of the workshop will be a facilitated discussion reviewing the results and lessons, providing direct feedback to each participant.
No previous training is required. Participants will be invited to be part of a research study on professional judgment for which exposure judgment data will be collected. The results will be used to help develop and improve professional judgment tools and techniques.
Participants must bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel (macro-enabled 2003 or newer) installed.
Participants will take home several user-friendly exposure assessment tools. Participants will receive feedback to calibrate their professional judgment. Audience response systems will be used to strengthen group and individual learning.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Identify common exposure judgment errors made with inhalation exposure assessments.
- Integrate methods to effectively address and correct common judgment errors.
- Utilize new and existing exposure assessment tools and strategies to make more effective and efficient risk management decisions.
- Access free resources offered by AIHA and networks of dedicated occupational and environmental hygiene professionals.
- Strengthening professional judgment and our profession
- Pre-training judgment
- Checklist and heuristics training
- Post EDH training exposure judgments
- Mixtures heuristics
- Post mixtures heuristics training
- Non ambient conditions heuristics training
- Non ambient conditions heuristics post training judgment
- Reviewing results of scenarios and calibrating exposure judgments
- Summary & wrap up
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC106
Exposure Assessment Strategies