Global Hazard Communication – the GHS
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 21 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Communication and Training, Emerging Markets/Global IH/OH Standards of Care, Hazardous Chemicals, Stewardship and Sustainability
This is an in-depth technical course on classification, labeling, and SDS under the new Hazard Communication Standard/GHS. It is intended for professionals responsible for the creation of SDS and labels, and is also suitable for other professionals wanting a detailed understanding of the new labels and SDS and how the hazard classifications were derived. The OSHA Standard introduced new hazard classification criteria, a system of standardized pictograms and hazard and precautionary statements for labels and SDS. This change required revision of all SDS and labels for chemicals in the U.S. Industrial hygienists who are responsible for hazard communication for their workers and customers must understand and be able to explain the new classifications and apply this new system to the management of chemical risk in the workplace.
Basic understanding of chemical hazards and Hazard Communication in the U.S.
Participants must bring a scientific calculator, laptop OR tablet/iPad.
Each participant will receive a copy of the slides, workshop examples, and a classification summary guide.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Interpret the changes to the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard.
- Recall how chemicals are classified for physio-chemical, health and environmental hazards.
- Recognize the pictograms used in the GHS.
- Use GHS standard hazard statements and signal words.
- Identify resources that can be used to determine chemical classifications.
- Decipher the essential elements of a GHS compliant SDS and label.
- Scope of the GHS
- Hazcom 2012 in Brief
- Classification and Criteria
- Physio-chemical, Health, Environmental Hazards
- Substance Criteria and Mixture Rules
- Data Sources for Classification
- Hazard Communication Elements
- Labeling, Pictograms, Signal Words
- Hazard and Precautionary Statements
- Safety Data Sheets
- International Implementation of the GHS
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC103
Communication and Training Methods, Stewardship and Sustainability