How to Integrate Wellness with OEHS
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Emerging Issues, IH Business Case Development, Management, Occupational Medicine
Have you ever noticed how the same basic principles we use daily to promote occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) can also be applied to worker wellness and health in general? Did you know that integrating wellness with OEHS results in greater return on investment (ROI) than implementing them separately? In this fun and active course, we will discuss the several aspects of wellness and health: how to make the case for integrating wellness and OEHS in the workplace; how others are doing it and their ROI; how to make the leap from IH/OEHS to wellness and health; stages of behavior change and motivation; and how OEHS and wellness creates healthier workers. Learn about bringing back ‘wellness activities’ into usage; research on merging wellness with OHS; various wellness resources and Health Promotion Plans (HPPs aka wellness programs) and their frameworks. Come prepared to learn, educate, participate, and have more fun about wellness and health than you’re used to having at a PDC!
Students should have a fundamental understanding of or experience with wellness and health education in the workplace.
Students receive several articles about wellness. Students will be able to implement an action plan for merging and integrating wellness with their OEHS/IH program.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Explain the relationship between occupational and environmental health and safety (OEHS) (and industrial hygiene (IH)) and worker health and wellness.
- Compare and contrast OEHS/IH and worker wellness or health.
- List the benefits of merging wellness with OEHS.
- Explain how other organizations have integrated the two and their benefits.
- Describe the research that has been done on merging wellness with OEHS.
- Describe the stages and motivators for behavior change.
- Explain the relationship between occupational health and worker health.
- Describe wellness activities or exercises and locate resources.
- Overview, Introductions, Expectations, Goals, and Objectives
- Making the Case for Wellness and Return on Investment (ROI)
- Making the Leap from IH/OEHS to Wellness
- OEHS and Wellness Brainstorming, Demonstration, and Discussion
- Behavior Change and Motivation
- Wellness Activities/Exercises
- Resources dDiscussion
- Health Promotion Plans
- Wrap-up and Final Considerations
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Hands-on demonstrations and practicum
- Practice exercises
- Group activities
- Interactive games
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC410