Introduction to LASER Safety
Credits: 4 CM Credit Hours / 0.4 CEU
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Lasers have become ubiquitous in society and exist in nearly every work environment. If not handled properly, lasers can be extremely hazardous for the user and other workers nearby. Even the most experienced laser operators are often not aware of the latest standards and necessary controls for safe operation. A general ability to identify laser hazards and recommend controls is essential for any practicing industrial hygienist. This introductory course will provide participants with the ability to anticipate possible laser hazard conditions, and recognize when additional evaluations and controls may be needed.
Participants should understand basic physics and math.
Participants must bring a scientific calculator.
Employers and clients want to know if their laser operations are hazardous. A basic ability to anticipate and recognize hazards, and identify when further evaluations and controls may be necessary is a valuable contribution that industrial hygienists can make in any work setting.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Describe how lasers operate and how lasers are hazardous to workers.
- Anticipate where lasers may be used and when they may be hazardous.
- Recognize when additional evaluations and controls may be necessary.
- Identify various categories of lasers and determine which industry standards may apply to their control.
- Assign basic controls, including how to identify when the use of laser protective eye-wear may be necessary to protect workers from laser hazards.
- The fundamental operations of lasers and the inherent characteristics that make laser light dangerous
- Biological interactions of laser light as they relate to eye and skin health hazards
- The different laser categories and types and associated hazards commonly used in various workplaces
- Current standards for hazard assessment and control of lasers
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC501