Noise Control Engineering
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
ONLY 5 SEATS REMAINING!
The most effective way to prevent occupational noise-induced hearing loss is through effective implementation of engineering noise controls. With some advanced education and training, it is feasible for industrial hygienists with a basic knowledge of the fundamentals of noise to develop noise control solutions; establish noise control priorities; identify and select optimum products for retrofitting equipment; work effectively with design engineers to implement a pro-active approach to noise control; and predict the impact new equipment will have on the existing noise levels.
Students must be familiar with the fundamentals of noise and basic terminology, such as A-weighted sound levels, decibel addition, octave-band frequencies, noise dose, and employee time-weighted average noise exposure.
Several spreadsheet programs and significant references for noise control will be provided on a CD, as well as demonstrated throughout the course. An electronic copy of AIHA’s The Noise Manual, 5th Edition, will be provided and referenced during the course.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Conduct a noise control survey, identify the noise generating mechanisms, and prioritize items for noise control.
- Develop feasible engineering controls through effective implementation of the Principles of Noise Control.
- Complete noise control design and retrofit applications for a variety of industrial equipment.
- Work effectively with design contractors, acoustical product suppliers, and consultants to achieve the stated noise criteria or goals.
- Principles of noise control room acoustics
- Sound propagation inside spaces
- Acoustical absorption
- Sound transmission loss
- Workshop: estimating the new sound level after relocating equipment
- Noise control options and applications for specific equipment
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
- Interactive games
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC403