Providing Expert Witness Testimony
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 22 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Legal, Regulatory, Guidelines, and Standards
As an industrial hygienist, it is not uncommon to be called as a factual or percipient witness in regard to your routine IH practice. As you progress in your career as an IH, opportunities may arise for you to act as an expert witness in litigation. This course will provide you with a foundation of skills needed to take on that role as an expert witness. This course is intended to provide a foundation for understanding the U.S. legal system, and the methodologies incorporated into the rules of civil procedure and evidence to determine expert qualifications and admissibility of testimony. Participants will discuss the legal system with related civil procedure issues and where and how industrial hygienists are utilized within the system. A significant amount of time will be devoted to the practice of IHs as expert witnesses. The expert witness section will discuss the uses of experts, the tests for admissibility of testimony, and the difference and functions of depositions and trials. The course will also include a discussion of effective and persuasive communication to enable witnesses to be successful.
Expand the average industrial hygienist’s skills to understand the legal system and the potential role (willing or unwilling) of the industrial hygienist in that legal system.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Provide expert witness testimony in accordance with the laws and rules of the U.S. legal system and its litigation process.
- Use the rules of civil procedure and evidence to establish the functional framework for their testimony.
- Respond in the role of an industrial hygienist expert in depositions and at trial.
- Understand the business aspects necessary to support their expert witness services.
- More effectively communicate as an expert.
- Court Systems, Litigation, and Evidentiary Rules
- Trial Testimony
- Business of Expert Testimony
- Effective Communication and Persuasion
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Practice exercises
- Group activities
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC415