Selection and Use of Chemical Protective Clothing
Credits: 4 CM Credit Hours / 0.4 CEU
May 21 |
1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Hazardous Chemicals, Protective Clothing and Equipment, Risk Assessment and Management
While the use of chemical protective clothing may be the least desirable of available control methods, it nevertheless is commonly depended upon to provide the last line of defense against workplace hazards. Many of the current practices for its selection and use are inconsistent with the amount and type of protection needed. This PDC will provide a fundamental understanding of the different types of chemical protective clothing, design features, chemical resistance performance, and human factors that are important for its appropriate selection and use. Specific instruction will focus on protection levels, chemical permeation vs. penetration information, and clothing characteristics that impact worker productivity and comfort. Learning aids and exercises will provide the participant with user guides for the practical employment of chemical protective clothing and will review the most current published databases and materials used in protective clothing. The selection of protective clothing using international performance criteria will be a key part of this PDC.
A general understanding and interest in health and safety.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Classify the performance and design features of chemical protective clothing.
- Apply performance information for chemical protective clothing selection.
- Assess the physical hazard protection performance of the protective clothing.
- Evaluate the design features and human factors as related to chemical protective clothing use.
- Identify sources of information on chemical protective clothing to assist in its selection and use.
- Classification of Chemical Protective Clothing
- Types of Chemical Protective Clothing
- Levels of Protection
- Physical Hazard Protection
- Cut, Abrasion, Puncture Resistance
- Risk Assessment
- Chemical Resistance
- Risk Assessment II
- Human Factors
- Selection Exercises
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Hands-on demonstrations and practicum
- Practice exercises
- Group activities
Course Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/16PDC302
Protective Clothing and Equipment