Understanding and Using ANSI/AIHA/ASSE Z9.2-2012 Fundamentals Governing the Design and Operation of Local Exhaust Ventilation Systems
Credits: 8 CM Credit Hours / 0.8 CEU / 0.5 CMP
May 21 |
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Engineering, Legal, Regulatory, Guidelines, and Standards, Management
This course provides an in-depth review of ANSI/AIHA® Z9.2-2012 Fundamentals Governing the Design and Operation of Local Exhaust Ventilation Systems. During the review, the individual requirements set forth in the standard are presented, and the rationale for each of the individual requirements is discussed. As the review and discussion progresses, a documentation package for a hypothetical LEV system will be developed by the class participants both individually and in small groups.
Knowledge of fundamental Industrial Hygiene concepts is helpful but not necessary for the course. Familiarity with standards such as AIHA, NFPA, and ASHRAE standards is helpful but not required.
Participants must bring a laptop, tablet, or other device with a word processor.
Class participants will receive a template that can be used to help develop a documentation package. Attendees will receive an electronic version of the ANSI/AIHA® Z9.2-2012 Fundamentals Governing the Design and Operation of Local Exhaust Ventilation Systems publication.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Summarize the role of the Standard in the design, construction, maintenance, and on-going operation of LEV systems.
- Explain the definitions of important terms.
- Recognize and describe the components of a typical LEV system.
- Address the different factors that affect the successful management of LEV systems at each stage of the Design, Construction, Commissioning, and Operation process.
- Develop a documentation package for LEV systems.
- Course introduction
- Review and discuss different types of ventilation systems
- Discuss the scope of the standard
- Explain the definitions in the standard
- Review the requirements governing the design, commissioning, and operation of the LEV system
- Review facility factors that affect how an LEV system is designed and operates
- Discuss the need for makeup air systems
- Discuss requirements and basics of exhaust hood design
- Review the requirements for ductwork and stacks
- Air cleaning equipment
- Review the requirements for fans
- Management program
- Other applicable standards
Transfer of Knowledge
Instructors will evaluate participants understanding of the materials presented based on:
- Hands-on demonstrations and practicum
- Practice exercises
- Group activities